WHITNEY GLASS WORKS; TELEPHONE JAR: FRUIT JAR
On February 21, 1905 a trademark was issued for the word Telephone (concerning fruit jars) it was registered to the Whitney Glass Works from Glassboro, New Jersey for a new line of fruit jars called the "Telephone".
Whitney Plant Number 1 was where the Telephone Jars were made.
The Whitney glass Works was established in 1775.
These jars were offered in the sizes of 1 pint, 1 quart and half gallon and in the colors of clear, aqua, sky blue and apple green.
June 6 1912 was the last year that Whitney was listed as the maker of these jars. The New York Tribune reported that a fire which started in the number 1 factory would destroy the building which the Telephone jars were being produced.
Below are some ads for these jars.
.May 5, 1906
. From 1908 Ladies Home Journal.
. Price list from the Rahway, New Jersey Herald Newspaper.
Below are photos of a 1 quart jar.
A. B. & G. C. Magazine, Fruit Jar Rambles Article by Tom Caniff April 2013.
Ladies Home Journal 1908.
Rahway, New Jersey Herald Newspaper.
Frank & Frank Jr. (Wicker) Fruit Jar Collection. No longer have.