JAMES COOK AYER: J. C. AYER & CO.: PATENT MEDICINES & BITTERS MANUFACTURER
James Cook Ayer started the J. C. Ayer & Co. in 1843. James would have his brother Fredrick join him in the business. The company was located on Jackson Street in Lowell, Mass. During the Civil War he would add a second location on Market and Middle Streets.
1888 Petteron Magizine............The Frankfort Roundabout Newspaper 1895.
Ayer's Cherry Pectoral was introduced in 1843. This medicine was advertised for the treatment of throat and lung diseases. The medicine was mainly used as a remedy for the cough. This medicine contained 3 grams of morphine.
Below are photos of an early open pontil 7 1/8 inch tall bottle. It is embossed AYER'S // CHERRY // LOWELL / MASS. //PECTORAL. There are at least six variants of these bottles.
By 1853 the firm started producing a medicine known as Ayer's Cathartic Pills. This medicine was a very strong laxative.
In 1858 the firm introduced their third medicine which was called Ayer's Sarsaparilla which was for the blood. It surpassingly treated syphilis, consumption and skin disease.
In the same year Ayer's started manufacturing Ayer's Aque Cure. This medicine was for treating fevers that reoccurs which was later known as Malaria. This medicine was made from the Cin Chona Tree. Later on this medicine was known as Quinine.
Other embossed bottles are.
Ayer's Concentrated Compound Extract of Sarsaparilla Lowell, Mass. (2 variants).
Ayer's Sarsaparilla Compound Ext. Lowell, Mass. (2 Variants).
Ayer's Senopus Lowell, Mass. (2 variants).
Lowell Historical Society.
The Frankfort Roundabout 1888.
Antique American Medicine Bottles. By M Knapp.
Frank & Frank Jr. (Wicker) Bottle Collection.