COLUMBIA WEISS BEER BREWERY: ST. LOUIS
Around 1858 Louis Milentz operated a brewery at 1535 Carondelet Street (South Broadway) in St. Louis, Mo. Through the years there were several owner changes until Christian Stettner and Otto Thoma took over the brewery in 1886. They operated under the name Stettner and Thoma Weiss beer Brewery. In 1906 they relocated the brewery to 128 - 130 Sidney Street and by 1908 they merged with the Missouri Weiss Beer Brewery Company and operated as a branch until closing in 1913.
In 1914 Leonard H. Gross is listed as president and Otto Thoma as vice president and Robert Dougherty as secretary and treasurer. The brewery was located at 130 Sidney and a second location at 2545 A Dodier Street. The Dodier address shows the business name as Columbia Weiss Beer Brewery which later was sole owned by Otto Thoma and his two sons Walter and Otto Jr.
In 1922 the St. Louis directory lists Otto Thoma as a bottler at the 2545 W. Dodier Street. By 1925 is the owner of the Columbia Product Company. The company is now canners of Columbia and Bavarian Malt extracts and dealers in porcelain stoppers and cappers. Otto Thoma died in May 31 1930. His two sons would take the business over.
Below is a photo of one of their amber bottles. It's embossed COLUMBIA / WEISS BEER / BREWERY / ST. LOUIS, MO // THIS BOTTLE / IS / NEVER SOLD ( IGCO. embossed on heel of bottle). This bottle roughly dates around 1903 to 1911.
There are several variants of this bottles embossing and also made in the color green.
St. Louis City Directories from 1883 to 1930.
Frank & Frank Jr. (Wicker) Bottle Collection.