C. E. WEBB & BRO. : WEBBS IMPROVED STOMACH BITTERS
The 1867 Jackson City Directory and Business Advertiser lists C. E. Webb & Brother located at 224 Main St. Jackson, Michigan. Charles E. Webb was listed as a druggist with his personal address at 35 Morrell St. He was born in May 26 1835 in Jefferson County, New York and would die in Feb 23 1903 in Jackson, Michigan. His brother and partner Walter b. Webb also a druggist and reciting at 66 Jackson St. He was born in May 1843 in Jefferson County, New York and died in June 12 1915 in Jackson Michigan. Below is an add that they had placed in the 1867 - 1868 Jackson City Directory and Advertiser. Note how they claim to be the largest and best drug house in central Michigan.
Charles E. Webb
Charles E. Webb was a druggist and manufacturing chemist who prepared a line of extracts and compounds for his medical remedies, which gained great popularity and were sold to retailers in several States. He was born in Jefferson county, New York in 1835 and was the third of eight sons from George and Julia Webb, nee Brown, of New York. Charles spent the first 14 years of his life working on a farm. He then went to Watertown, New York to learn the drug business, remaining there until 1857. Webb then went to Iowa, and for six years was the proprietor of a drug store in DeWitt. He eventually sold out and came to Jackson, Michigan in 1863, and formed C. E. Webb & Brother, with his brother Walter at 201 Main Street in Jackson, Michigan. They had one of the largest and finest drug stores in central Michigan. Webb married Elizabeth Clark, of Watertown, New York, by whom he had 4 children, 3 daughters and 1 son. He was a member of the City School Board, and he and his family belonged to the First Baptist Church. Webbs mother was a niece of General Jacob Brown, who settled in Pennsylvania before William Penns time; and moved to northern New York when the country was a wilderness. For six months they saw the face of no white person but their own family, the Indians being their only neighbors .
Walter B. Webb
Walter B. Webb was an insurance, loan and real-estate agent. He was born in Watertown, New York in 1843 and enjoyed the advantages of common school until 15 years of age. Webb then came west and engaged in the drug business with his brother Charles in DeWitt, Iowa. He remained until 1863 and then came to Jackson, continued in the same business, and three years later became a partner. In January 1875, Webb retired his interest from the concern, save that in manufacture of patent medicines, which he retained. He then engaged in insurance, representing some 18 fire companies, among which were a number of the leading companies of Europe, his business being equaled in volume by few agents in Michigan. You can see his business occupying the same building at 201 Main Street in Jackson, Michigan. Walter married Emma L. Backus, of Jackson, in 1866, who died two years after; and in the fall of 1871 he married Julia A. Mann, of Calhoun county, Michigan. They had 1 daughter, Mettie. He and his wife were members of the Episcopal Church. ( The History of Jackson County, Michigan., 1881).
Below is a photo of their store front.
WEBBS IMPROVED / STOMACH BITTERS // C. E. WEBB & BRO. / JACKSON MICH. Below are photos of this bottle.
. Illustration. Note that the address is 201 and not 224 as theninformation from the 1867 - 1868 Jackson City Directory and Advertiser.
They also had the WEBBS / OLD RYE BITTERS // JACKSON, MICH. Both Bitters bottles being square in shape, amber in color and 9 inches in height. The OLD RYE BITTERS is the older of the two Bitters bottles. Also a aqua medicine bottle reading C.E. WEBB & BRO. JACKSON MICH.
1867 - 1868 Jackson City Directory and Advertiser.
Bitters Bottles by Carlyn Ring & W. C. Ham.
Frank & Frank Jr. (Wicker) Bottle Collection