DR. JOHN O. LANGLEY: DR LANGLEY ROOT & HERB BITTERS
During the 1840s a George C. Goodwin operated a small sales agency located at 76 Union Street Boston, Mass. Sometime in the middle 1840s Goodwin and a local county doctor named John O. Langley would bottle and market the doctor's formula which they called Dr. Langley's Root & Herb Bitters.
The Boston Directories from 1860 lists John O. Langley under patent medicines. In the 1870 directory he is listed just medicines with offices at 36 & 38 Hanover Street Boston.
Below is an ad for Dr. Langley's Root & Herb Bitters.
Note no Dr.
A label reads "Composed of Sarsaparilla Wild Cherry, yellow Dock, Prickly Ash, Thoroughwort, Rhubarb, Mandrake, Dandelion and others comprising the best roots, herbs and barks in the world".
There are 7 variants of these bottles. Both pontils and smooth base.
1 with no address.
3 with 99 Union Street address.
2 with 76 Union Street address.
1 with backwards 99.
Below are photos of a DR. LANGLEY'S / ROOT & HERB / BITTERS / 76 UNION ST. / BOSTON.
Below are photos of a DR. LANGLEY'S / ROOT & HERB / BITTERS / ( backwards 99) UNION ST. / BOSTON.
Bitters Bottle by Carlyn Ring & W. C. Ham.
Dr. Cannon Medicine Chest Article A.B.&G.C. Magazine Sept. 2012.
Frank & Frank Jr. (Wicker) Bottle Collecion.