CHAS TRUAX & CO: CHICAGO: DRUGGISTS
Charles Truax's father Galloway Truax owned a retail drug store in Maquoketa, Iowa. Charles at the age of 16 began working for his father in the store as a clerk. In 1873 he went to Colorado spending two years to study geology. By 1875 he would return back to Maquoketa where he would join his fatHer Galloway in business. Now the firm was called G. Truax & Son. The store supply practicing physicians everything needed in their profession at wholesale prices whether in the line of the purest and most carefully compounded drugs or anything in the way of surgical instruments electric apparatus etc. The firm had much success and would move to Cedar Rapids, Iowa in 1877. There in Cedar Rapids he would have CW Bassett join in as a partner. Now the name was changed to Charles Truax & Co. By 1884 it was again found necessary to remove and this time the change was made to Chicago. The address was No 81 Randolph Street from which they were better able to meet the demands of the trade. While in Chicago the firm would grow having twenty employees and five on the road salesman.The company's 1893 sales catalog was over 1,500 pages long, and its products were so well known that physicians attending the World's Columbian Exposition flocked to view Truax's Wabash Avenue headquarters. Later on the company's name was change to Truax, Greene & Co. By the time Truax, Greene Co. dissolved in 1920, Chicago had become the leading center of medical manufacturing in the country."
Charles Truax was born in 1852 at Milton Wis. He would pass away in 1918. He would marry Mary Wolff of Maquoketa, Iowa. They Have two children Edith and Ruth.
Below is a photo of one of there bottles. Notice how the last name was spelled. TRU (with a embossed axe). The bottle is embossed CHAS / TRU (embossed axe) & CO / CHICAGO.
Frank & Frank Jr. (Wicker) Bottle Collection.